Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The skies were looking a little like rain which was exactly what the evening forecast was calling for. We did our usual work around the boat this morning. Maureen started on a project inside going after any marks or glue left on the fiberglass from the manufacturing process. Gale was eager to wax the inside of the boat, but Maureen wanted to make sure it was as clean as possible before the waxing.

Towards the middle of the afternoon, our friends from Ally’s Cat said they were going to town to pick up their mail and then moving on to another anchorage on Kentucky Lake called Pisgah Bay. We were planning to follow them in a little while and then hook up at 6:30 pm to play a board game aboard their boat. About the time we were thinking of leaving, the couple from Whiskers, a small motor catamaran that anchored in the same bay as we did last night, stopped by in their dinghy to say “Hello.” While we were visiting, Don called and said that we might want to consider staying where we were tonight as it was very choppy, rough and windy out on Kentucky Lake. The anchorage was a little less than five miles south of the canal, but it was going to take a lot of power to get there with winds out of the south southwest at over 20 knots. We pulled up the anchor and ventured over to the canal at 4:15 pm. From the canal we could see that Kentucky Lake was very choppy and when we entered the lake, it didn’t take us long to decide that we were going to turn around and go back to our quiet little cove. It just wasn’t worth all the stress on the boat to get to the new spot.

After dropping the anchor and settling in again, Gale grilled bacon and we had BLTs for dinner. Since we weren’t going to play the board game with Don and Ally tonight, we decided to pull out one of our own. Maureen taught Gale how to play Cribbage which he caught on to very quickly. While we were playing, the cold front came through and it began to rain. There was a little bit of thunder and lightning – but mostly wind with buckets of rain! We stayed warm, dry and comfortable inside and listened to the rain into the early morning hours. At 4:15 am we opened up the hatch in the stateroom to get some air circulating. We could see that the skies were clearing and the rain had passed.

No comments: