Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fri, Jan 8, 2010 - Ft Myers Beach, FL

It was another nice morning with a light wind out of the southwest. We even talked about wearing shorts before the next front arrived from the north this afternoon. We called Ongs and said that we would be done with our chores earlier than we expected and were happy to hear that they would be able to pick us up around 1 pm or so.

On Friday mornings in Ft Myers Beach, a Farmers Market takes place under the bridge next to the Matanzas Inn where we were moored. The last two Fridays were both holidays (Christmas and New Years Day) so this was the first opportunity we’d had to check it out and purchase some fresh produce. Sadly, we were quite disappointed with what was offered. We picked up some vegetables to make salad, as well as a few bananas and tangerines. We were hoping to get our breakfast here, but couldn’t find anything that even mildly interested us in the “sweet” department – Hard to imagine, for sure. . .

Showers were next on the agenda – even Lucy got one! We wanted to be sure that she smelled good when we met up with Nick and Jane, but mostly we wanted to get rid of any excess hair on her coat. She had been shedding quite a bit since we’d been in Florida and needed a good wash and brush. Back aboard the boat we straightened things up and cleaned the salad vegetables. We met the Ongs in the Matanzas Inn parking lot after lunch and brought them out to see our home. After greeting Lucy and taking a quick tour, it was back to shore for an afternoon of shopping and running errands. They took us to Target, Staples, a couple of automotive stores and a few vet clinics (looking for dog food.) Nick and Jane introduced us to their friend, Lee, an owner at the Animal Clinic at Kelly Crossing who happened to be in when we stopped by. Lee offered to do whatever he could to expedite the paperwork needed for Lucy’s passage into the Bahamas in March. He told us they had recently assisted another boater with a pet and it ended up being a bit of a hassle. We will make an appointment next week for Lucy’s annual physical and get her shots brought up to date.

By 6 pm we were seated at the Carrabba’s Italian Grill in Ft Myers where we enjoyed a wonderful dinner of chicken parmesan and lasagna. After dinner, it was back to Blue Heron to pick up our toiletries, grab our laundry and tuck Lucy in for the night. Nick and Jane brought us out to their lovely condo on Sanibel Island. One of the first things we did when we settled into our bedroom was to turn on the television - a real treat!

No comments: